Associate Director / Director
About Portland Local
- The Portland Local team provide strategic advice and campaign delivery across issues at the intersection of local communities, politics and the media. We specialise in strategic communications ranging from contentious planning applications and major infrastructure projects, through to community campaigns and stakeholder engagement.
- This is a senior role within the Portland Local team.
- The role is to work with the Partner and management team in driving the practice’s next stage of growth, whilst playing a vital role in managing and developing the team
- The role will have a particular focus on commercial and large-scale residential development projects in London;
- The role requires a strong entrepreneurial focus.
- Portland Local is a fully integrated PR practice. The role therefore requires an understanding of the roles public affairs, media relations and corporate reputation play in the planning and development sector.
- Developing and maintaining a network of commercial contacts in the planning and development sector e.g. developers, planning consultants;
- Taking a leading role in developing the practice’s new business network, particularly inside the M25;
- Developing communication strategies and campaigns;
- Project lead for major development accounts;
- Maintaining networks with politicians, advisers and other stakeholders;
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of the planning process and legislative changes;
- Managing the workload of junior team members as appropriate.
- Proven track record of winning and delivering planning campaigns;
- Strong professional and political network, particularly in London;
- Be able to analyse clients’ challenges and develop strategies to solve them, within the political and planning context in which clients operate;
- Be organised with the ability to manage your own workload;
- Have the ability to communicate confidently with Portland staff, senior clients and other stakeholders.
Qualifications and Skills
- Have a degree or equivalent qualification.
- Have a strong working knowledge of the politics of planning and development, from national to local level, with a particular emphasis on the London boroughs;
- Have at least 8-10 years’ experience in communications consultancy, or combined with periods in relevant in-house, local government or campaigning positions;
- Have good network of contacts within the industry and in the political sphere;
- Have a proven track record of delivering successful development campaigns for clients in London;
- Have a commercial and strategic approach;
- Have credibility in the planning and development world;
- Have strong project management ability;
- Have well developed sales and negotiation skills;
- Have local government knowledge or experience.
To Apply: Please send your CV and a covering letter to Miriam Myers, Senior Recruitment Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org stating clearly which position you are applying for.