- This role is within Portland Health, part of the Portland Corporate Communications and Public Affairs team. Portland Health is a small but fast growing team providing public relations and public affairs services to clients which help them successfully navigate through a complex and fast-changing landscape.
- You will be joining a team of consultants with unrivalled first-hand PR and PA experience at the highest level.
- As Account Director, your experience to date may lean more towards PA. However, you will have strong experience across the pharmaceutical and health sector. This should include experience of supporting teams who are drafting pharmaceutical product and disease awareness material, providing reference packs and facilitating approvals, generating media coverage, supporting the running of public events, and managing political and/or stakeholder relationships (Key Opinion Leaders and Patient Groups) for a diverse range of clients and therapeutic areas.
- You will have a solid understanding of the way the NHS is structured, the drug approval and Health Technology Assessment (HTA) processes.
- Providing leadership and strategic counsel on major complex client accounts;
- Driving significant new business effort – conceive, lead and project manage new business proposals and pitches;
- Directing major accounts/projects;
- Leading marketing drive setting up events, and promoting products;
- Leading integrated comms/ PA offers;
- Line managing team members (Account Managers, Account Executives and Researchers) and overseeing their career development.
Providing a quality service
- Have strong commercial acumen – utilised with bottom line figures in mind as well as continued high standard service offering to clients;
- Be able to anticipate clients’ challenges and develop strategies to solve them;
- Have the ability to communicate confidently with Portland staff, senior clients and other stakeholders;
- Be highly organised with the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Be a credible and confident adviser on media and reputation;
- Have strong commercial awareness and ability to support aggressive new business drive;
- Be politically savvy with good understanding of how politics and media cross over;
- Have a network of contacts to help fill pipeline and pull in new business;
- Be media smart with good contacts in national print and broadcast;
- Be able to direct large accounts and manage clients – a track record of agency experience handling is not essential, but would be beneficial.
Team-working and Projects
- Be able to work with and communicate effectively with others across the agency;
- Be an excellent decision maker with a real ability to lead and mentor a team across different client accounts;
- Develop collegial relationships with individuals at various levels throughout the agency;
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with a real flare for pitching and presenting ideas and business plans;
- Focus on organic growth and development of team.
Qualifications and Skills
- Relevant, senior level PA experience gained from an agency, in-house or government role;
- Strong commercial acumen with a track record of shaping an agency’s growth and success;
- The ability to be a key influencer with the gravitas to provide senior leadership and counsel on major complex accounts;
- Excellent client servicing and interpersonal skills, as well as a real ability to lead pitch teams;
- Proven ability to grow and lead teams;
- Tenacity to drive marketing and business development;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, excellent client-consultation skills as well as client and agency growth and development.